Director EU+ Field Medical Strategy & Execution
In line with the worldwide medical strategy, the Director EU+ Field Medical Strategy & Execution will drive the Field Medical strategy development and execution for the region. As one of the largest functions within EU+ Medical, Field Medical employees are our main direct scientific interface with healthcare professionals across the region and, as such, this is a highly visible and critical role. This individual will collaborate with the Global & Regional Brand Teams to set the strategic direction for the EU+ Field Medical teams across all therapy areas, providing a significant voice at the leadership table and championing alignment on a global platform. He or she will be accountable for collaborating with the EU+ Country Medical Leads to deliver appropriate execution of the field medical strategy on a country by country basis.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Head of Medical Strategy EU+, the successful candidate will lead a pan-EU+ group of MSLs (Alzheimers Disease)/MSL Leads (SMA, MS) via a matrix organization. He or she will be accountable for collaborating with the EU+ Country Medical Leads to determine strategic priorities and deliver appropriate execution of the field medical strategy on a country by country basis.
- Establish and promote the medical and scientific reputation of Biogen throughout EU+;
- Develop strong peer-to-peer scientific partnerships with internal & external stakeholders in alignment with the overall Biogen strategy;
- Collaborate with the EU+ Country Medical Leads and MSL Leads to:
- Lead, develop and successfully deploy MSL initiatives across EU+;
- Develop and maintain a regional forum for MSL best practice sharing across affiliates;
- Serve as EU+ MSL strategy & execution point of contact for senior leadership.
- Lead development of the EU+ Field Medical plan aligned with strategic worldwide medical priorities, partnering with regional and affiliate management teams to define, establish and execute a coherent field medical plan that addresses patient needs;
- Identify current and future unmet medical needs, addressing those needs to EU+ Regional Medical, and generating short-, mid-, and long-term plans;
- Identify measurable goals and KPIs to ensure execution of the regional field medical affairs plan and demonstrate value;
- Play a key leadership role within EU+ Medical, including providing best-practice sharing across countries, therapeutic areas, and products;
- Act as a regional partner for R&D for pipeline and new products as needed;
- Develop and manage the Field Medical budget, providing input into the EU+ budgeting and planning process;
- Assess current field medical talent and identify growth and development opportunities, fostering a culture of high performance and urgency, ensuring that Biogen’s Field Medical leaders of the future are mentored for succession and retained;
- Create a climate in which self-motivated individuals will aspire to higher levels of performance by creating high standards, and by partnering with Country Medical and MSL leads to reward and recognise exceptional performance;
- Create an environment of trust, delegate responsibility to help individuals grow professionally;
- Provide positive and developmental feedback appropriately;
- Clearly understand the hiring profile for EU+ field medical and assist Country Medical/MSL leads in knowing how to match a candidate’s skills with the role of an excellent MSL.
- Collaborate with Country Medical Leads to help ensure compliance and governance with external laws and internal regulations regarding the appropriate conduct of Field Medical activities throughout EU.
- 10+ years experience within Field Medical across multiple therapy areas. Line management experience in leading a field based team, demonstration of MSL/field member coaching, mentoring and leadership;
- Proven success recruiting, developing, leading, and retaining, high-performing, diverse field-based teams, driving paradigm shifts and a culture of accountability and continuous improvement, within a large, highly-matrixed, complex, top-tier business organization;
- Business savvy and executive presence/confidence coupled with outstanding communication, negotiation, and cross-functional relationship-building skills needed to engage effectively and credibly with both external and internal stakeholders—including scientifically oriented and data-driven executive management.
- Pharmacist (PhD level) or Physician.